Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Had an eggplant (which I never cook with) and some miscellaneous squash in the fridge. Wanted to make the vegetable stew I had enjoyed so often in Egypt but all the recipes I could find were too much like Greek mousaka (layers, white sauce etc.) so I experimented and came up with this.
- preheat oven to 325°F.
- cut vegetables into 1 inch pieces.
- heat oil.
- cook garlic just until browned (do not overcook!).
- add onion & spices, stir, cook until tender.
- add vegetables, potatoes & chickpeas, stir to coat.
- transfer to deep, covered baking dish, add tomatoes and stir to combine.
- cover and bake on middle rack for 1-1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- serve alone or on brown rice.
Reminded me of sitting in a small road side eatery in Aswan. Really great will be eating it for the week!!!!!!!!
Yum - healthy and nicely spiced. Very easy to make. My only problems were finding a big enough pan for frying the spices - adding the vegies in step 6 really overloaded it - I ended up being in in 2 stages (and doubling the spices), and then finding a big enough casserole dish (also ended up using two). Maybe my vegies were oversized? Still yummy and easy to make with stuff I keep in the pantry / fridge all the time. Served over rice for a lovely gluten-free meal.