Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Had an eggplant (which I never cook with) and some miscellaneous squash in the fridge. Wanted to make the vegetable stew I had enjoyed so often in Egypt but all the recipes I could find were too much like Greek mousaka (layers, white sauce etc.) so I experimented and came up with this.
- preheat oven to 325°F.
- cut vegetables into 1 inch pieces.
- heat oil.
- cook garlic just until browned (do not overcook!).
- add onion & spices, stir, cook until tender.
- add vegetables, potatoes & chickpeas, stir to coat.
- transfer to deep, covered baking dish, add tomatoes and stir to combine.
- cover and bake on middle rack for 1-1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- serve alone or on brown rice.