Recipe by mikamouse
I used to buy this cake from the local bakery and decided it was less expensive to make it myself... (use only fresh fruit - not frozen)
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix (or french vanilla)
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄4 cup Karo syrup or 1⁄4 cup other fruit syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water, to dilute Karo syrup (do not use if using the fruit syrup)
- 1 cup strawberry
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup raspberries
- 4 -5 kiwi (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 16 ounces Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix and bake the cake according to directions on box using the two – 9” pans.
- Let cool & slice each cake layer in half so you have 4 cake layers.
- Drizzle each cake layer with syrup (diluted Karo syrup or juice from a can of peaches). Let soak about 15 minutes – ½ hour.
- Wash and let the fruit dry on paper towel.
- Place the first cake layer on the plate & spread a layer of Cool Whip.
- Distribute slices of kiwi evenly over the Cool Whip.
- Place the next cake layer & repeat until you finish all layers.
- If you want you can randomly add a few of the other fruits in the middle layer.
- Cover the top & sides of cake with the remaining Cool Whip.
- Take a handful at a time of the almond slivers & cover the sides of the cake (this is a little messy).
- Decorate the rest of the cake with the remaining fruit & sliced strawberries.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.