Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the way I was taught to cook yellow summer squash from my mother. It is great served over rice with fried chicken or fried pork chops. Down home southern meal. The recipe can be adjusted to serve as many people as needed.
- 3 medium summer squash, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- water, to cover squash
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash squash and slice squash. Put into a medium saucepan with salt. Cover with water. Cook until squash are tender.Drain squash.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until almost crisp. Add onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add squash to onion mixture. Sprinkle with pepper. Mash squash in skillet, heat through.
Great recipe! This is the way I remember my mama cooking squash.
The best of the best..just the way I was raised...I did not change nothing...This is just the way it should be. Thank You and Hugs
Wonderfully old-fashioned and delicious! Squash, onions and bacon...there is no better combination.