Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
An odd name for a flavorful meat-filled "tortilla". This recipe is from Bolivia.
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 dash salt
- 2⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- Brown the ground beef and season to taste with salt and pepper (Note: you may saute some onion and garlic with the beef for added flavor).
- Drain and set aside.
- Place flour in a large bowl and add the melted butter; mix well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- Dissolve the salt and sugar in the warm water; add to the flour mixture and stir until everything sticks together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured cutting board and knead, adding flour as needed.
- When the dough is"dried" with the flour you've added, separate it into 30 small balls of dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball on a lightly floured surface, creating a small"tortilla.
- "Add 1-2 heaping tablespoons beef to each tortilla.
- Lightly moisten the outer rim of the tortilla with water, fold dough over and, using a fork, crimp edges.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and fry saltenas in oil until lightly browned.
- Remove from oil, place on paper towels, and brush each with melted butter.
- Serve with salsa.
- Makes 30 saltenas.