An odd name for a flavorful meat-filled "tortilla". This recipe is from Bolivia.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brown the ground beef and season to taste with salt and pepper (Note: you may saute some onion and garlic with the beef for added flavor).
- 2Drain and set aside.
- 3Place flour in a large bowl and add the melted butter; mix well.
- 4Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each.
- 5Dissolve the salt and sugar in the warm water; add to the flour mixture and stir until everything sticks together.
- 6Turn the dough out onto a floured cutting board and knead, adding flour as needed.
- 7When the dough is"dried" with the flour you've added, separate it into 30 small balls of dough.
- 8Using a rolling pin, roll out each ball on a lightly floured surface, creating a small"tortilla.
- 9"Add 1-2 heaping tablespoons beef to each tortilla.
- 10Lightly moisten the outer rim of the tortilla with water, fold dough over and, using a fork, crimp edges.
- 11Heat oil in a deep pan and fry saltenas in oil until lightly browned.
- 12Remove from oil, place on paper towels, and brush each with melted butter.
- 13Serve with salsa.
- 14Makes 30 saltenas.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mighty Saltenas (Saltenas de Graciela)
Serving Size: 1 (1973 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.9
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 42.2 mg
- Sodium 51.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 6.0 g