Recipe by lauren
Grilled cheese takes a classic strongman twist when you add big flavor meat to the mix.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread or 2 slices white bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 slices American cheese (1 ounce each)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread half of the butter on one side of one slice of bread with the knife. Place bread, buttered side down, in a skillet. Place cheese slices on top of bread, cutting cheese to fit so all bread is covered (overlap cheese if necessary).
- Spread remaining butter on one side of the remaining bread slice. Place bread on sandwich, buttered side up.
- Put skillet on a burner. Turn the burner to medium heat. Cook sandwich about 3 to 5 minutes or until bottom slice of bread is toasted and cheese begins to melt (carefully lift sandwich with pancake turner to see if bread is toasted). Use the pancake turner to turn sandwich over. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until bottom slice of bread is toasted and cheese is melted. Turn off burner. Remove skillet from burner. Use pancake turner to remove sandwich from skillet.*.
- Use scissors to cut sandwich into triangles. Serve immediately.
- MIGHTY PROVOLNE AND PEPPERONI MELT.
- Use provolone or mozzarella cheese in place of American cheese, and top cheese with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce and 5 to 6 thin slices pepperoni.
- MIGHTY GRILLED CHEDDAR AND SALAMI MELT.
- Use cheddar or Colby and Monterey Jack cheese in place of American cheese, and top cheese with 1 ounce thinly sliced salami.
- Serve with a bowl of tomato soup, carrot sticks, and milk.
- *NOTE If you are making more than one sandwich, assemble it and then carefully add it to the hot skillet. Cooking times may be slightly shorter.