Cook1 hr 30 mins
There are many Moussaka recipes but I have found none as good as this recipe. Originally it was from "The complete Garlic Lovers Cookbook from Gilroy, the Garlic Capital of the World" I made a few minor changes and this recipe is the result. I've never had anyone turn down seconds and have served it at least a dozen times.
- 6 medium zucchini
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into pieces
- 1 banana peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon beau monde seasoning
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup 2% fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese (use imported) or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese (use imported)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Peel the zucchini and slice into 1/2-inch rounds.
- Heat a skillet and spray with the veggie oil.
- Quickly brown the zucchini slices on both sides, spray with oil as necessary Arrange half the zucchini slices in an oiled 9x12x2-inch baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in the same skillet and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent. Add meat, stir to break up any lumps, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan heat the tomato sauce, tomato pieces, bay leaf, beau monde, honey, oregano, chili pepper and black pepper. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, heat a little oil and brown the mushrooms, then add them to the meat and mix well.
- Pour all of the meat mixture over the zucchini slices. Top with cinnamon, allspice and cottage cheese. Cover with remaining zucchini slices, then the tomato sauce and wine.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for 1 hour in a 350°F oven.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with the parsley, serve.