Recipe by PaulaG
So much Tex-Mex food calls for lots of oil and high fat foods. This was a recipe that I found on a pack of corn tortillas. I adjusted the recipe and this is the end result. Hope you enjoy! Update: 05/23/3009: This recipe was submitted to TOH and was published in the 2009 version of The Best of County Cooking. It is also on the TOH website: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Tex-Mex-Scramble.
Top Review by Rita~
Flavor explosion! I did add 1 garlic clove. I used 3 eggs which equaled 3/4 cup in place of the substitute. I added cooked chorizo. Topped with Recipe #239431, fresh sliced avocado, Recipe #355185 and enjoyed a cup of and Recipe #334139. WT 5 Thanks
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 corn tortillas, cut in strips
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 raw jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small plum tomato, diced
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 ounces left over shredded pork or 2 ounces beef roast
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat monterey jack cheese or 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- avocado, slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm oil in skillet.
- Add tortilla strips and fry until lightly golden but not crisp.
- Add the onion and jalapeno and cook for 2 minutes, additional oil may be needed.
- Add tomato and cook and additional 2 minutes.
- Add egg substitute and shredded meat; cook until almost set, stirring occasionally, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the egg mixture, cover, turn off heat and allow to sit until cheese melts.
- Serve topped with your favoriate salsa, avocado slices and additional corn tortillas if desired.