So much Tex-Mex food calls for lots of oil and high fat foods. This was a recipe that I found on a pack of corn tortillas. I adjusted the recipe and this is the end result. Hope you enjoy! Update: 05/23/3009: This recipe was submitted to TOH and was published in the 2009 version of The Best of County Cooking. It is also on the TOH website: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Tex-Mex-Scramble.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 3 corn tortillas, cut in strips
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 raw jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small plum tomato, diced
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 ounces left over shredded pork or 2 ounces beef roast
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat monterey jack cheese or 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- avocado, slices
- Warm oil in skillet.
- Add tortilla strips and fry until lightly golden but not crisp.
- Add the onion and jalapeno and cook for 2 minutes, additional oil may be needed.
- Add tomato and cook and additional 2 minutes.
- Add egg substitute and shredded meat; cook until almost set, stirring occasionally, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the egg mixture, cover, turn off heat and allow to sit until cheese melts.
- Serve topped with your favoriate salsa, avocado slices and additional corn tortillas if desired.
Flavor explosion! I did add 1 garlic clove. I used 3 eggs which equaled 3/4 cup in place of the substitute. I added cooked chorizo. Topped with Lime Crema for Chili, Tacos, Fajitas and More, fresh sliced avocado, Leah's Fresh Salsa and enjoyed a cup of and Mexican Caramel Coffee. WT 5 Thanks
This made a delightful Sunday Breakfast! I subbed 4 extra-large eggs in place of the egg substitute and topped it with a bit of cilantro. Served alongside a cup of Mexican Coffee we were energized to start the day! Viva Las Reynas! Made for ZWT . Thanks Paula.
After learning your recipe was published I had to try it to celebrate for you. I wasn't disappointed, but I never am with your recipes. This was easy to put together, utilized leftover roast, and best of all was a flavorful breakfast. Way to go PaulaG! =)