Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chicken and shrimp can be substituted with beef, lamb, fish, fish balls, prawn balls.
Make and share this Mie Goreng Java (Javanese Fried Noodles) recipe from Food.com.
- 150 g dried egg noodles or 250 g fresh egg noodles
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 macadamia nuts
- 1⁄2 tablespoon whole white pepper
- 100 g chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 100 g shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 50 g cabbage, cut thinly
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 3 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 tablespoons ketjap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 150 milliliters chicken stock
- If using dried noodles, prepare noodles as direction but reduce the time called for by half. Grind garlic, macadamia nuts and pepper using mortar and pestle, or electric grinder, to smooth paste.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok. Stir-fry spice paste till fragrant over medium heat for 30 seconds or less.
- Toss in chicken and prawns. Cook quickly by stirring using a spatula. Add sweet soy sauce. Mix well.
- Pour chicken stock in the wok. Toss in cabbage. Reduce heat slightly and let boil, about 2-3 minutes.
- When the liquid slightly reduced, add the noodles. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the noodles and sauce until desired consistency. For dry noodles, cook longer. For wet noodles, cook briefly.
- Add bean sprouts and chopped greens. Mix well. Serve the Mie Goreng Java warm. Serve the Mie Goreng along with other condiments, such as fried shallot flakes, chopped celery, fried eggs, chicken satay, fried chicken, freshly cut cucumber slices, tomatoes or sambal belacan.