Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This bar cookie is especially favored for carry ins. This is a rich walnut treat.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the cookie layer with a pastry blender or pulse in a food processor.
- Pat into a buttered 12x7-inch flat glass baking dish.
- Bake until golden.about 10 minutes.
- While the first layer is baking, prepare the filling.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and the vanilla until the eggs are pale yellow, about 2 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, walnuts, and coconut.
- Add to the egg mixture and blend.
- Cool the baked first layer for 5 minutes, then pour the walnut coconut mixture over the crust and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden and the center is done.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting while the layers cool, all the frosting ingredients in a small bowl, until smooth.
- Spread over the top of the cooled cookie.
- Allow to stand for 1 hour, then cut into squares.
- Store in layers separated by plastic wrap in an air tight container.