Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This taco salad recipe is different from the ones that are on Recipezaar because it doesn't use Catalina dressing, you make the dressing for this salad. It also contains Doritos, kidney beans and colby or cheddar cheese. I haven't had a chance to try this recipe yet, so I am placing it here for safekeeping. Please Note: Time does not include cooling time for ground beef.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 head lettuce, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 lb colby or 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (12 ounce) bag Doritos, crushed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Brown and drain ground beef. Add taco mix and water to ground beef; simmer until thick. Cool. In a large bowl, layer lettuce, tomatoes, onion, cheese, crushed Doritos and ground beef. Drain and rinse kidney beans; add to salad. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over salad just before serving.
We love this dressing, which looks like Catalina but is more complex in flavor. It came together easily and whipped up in seconds! Because we want to keep leftovers in the fridge overnight, we left out the layer of chips and instead put them on the serving plate under the salad. We also skipped the onions by request of DD16. This was good!
Was this good, we both enjoyed it very much, my dh even asked for more after it was all gone and he ate most of it. We really liked the wonderful dressing, so much flavor. Made exactly as written. I used a combination of old cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses and Cool Ranch Doritos. This dish was spicy, sweet and savory, thanks for sharing a salad that I will make again and again.
I used veggie crumbles to replace the meat and enjoyed this different than my usual taco salad salad! Thanks! Made for Australian swap-Jan. 2011.