Recipe by lauralie41
A recipe I found on FoodNetwork.com after watching Paula Deen's Home Cooking - Tailgate Time episode.
Top Review by Clevergirl7
Delicious. Will be making them this way again. Used Johnsonville Brats, Flying Dog Old Scratch amber lager, bakery store toasted Italian buns, and Ingelhoffer's brown mustard. Good ingredients make for a good recipe.
- 6 bratwursts
- 6 cups lager beer
- 2 large onions, sliced, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored and sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- mustard, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin by pricking the brats all over with a fork. Using a medium pot add the bratwurst, beer, and half the onions. Bring this to a simmer over a medium high heat for 15 minutes or until brats are firm and cooked through. Place brats on a plate and save some of the cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add the rest of the onion and bell peppers and cook for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft, tossing pan occasionally. During the last 5 minutes of cooking add brats and lightly brown. If the vegetables are getting to dark add a few tablespoons of the bratwurst cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve place brat in bun spread with mustard and top with sauteed peppers and onions.