Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A recipe I found on FoodNetwork.com after watching Paula Deen's Home Cooking - Tailgate Time episode.
- 6 bratwursts
- 6 cups lager beer
- 2 large onions, sliced, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored and sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- mustard, to taste
- Begin by pricking the brats all over with a fork. Using a medium pot add the bratwurst, beer, and half the onions. Bring this to a simmer over a medium high heat for 15 minutes or until brats are firm and cooked through. Place brats on a plate and save some of the cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Add the rest of the onion and bell peppers and cook for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft, tossing pan occasionally. During the last 5 minutes of cooking add brats and lightly brown. If the vegetables are getting to dark add a few tablespoons of the bratwurst cooking liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve place brat in bun spread with mustard and top with sauteed peppers and onions.
These are very good! In good weather, I grill the brats first and then simmer in the ingredients listed in my crockpot. But they are great either way...juicy and tender! Thanks for posting Lauralie.
Wow delicious and easy is about all I can say. Its a Paula Deen recipe so all is good. I never watch the food network so i thank you for posting this recipe. Made for Cooking With Kids Friendly Forum Tag Game.
Wonderful! We make these over a campfire and you just can't go wrong with this recipe on a warm summer night around the campfire! The only thing I alter from time to time is to use red onions vs. yellow. Thanks for posting!