1/1 Photo of Midwestern Spinach & Cheese Savoury Bread Pudding
I got this recipe yesterday from a recipe group and made it last night. The original recipe called for Jack cheese (and only half the amount), low fat milk, no garlic or onion or Parmesan and used white bread. I played with it and this is what I came up with. It turned out quite nicely as a side dish to Lamb chops but I imagine it would also make a lovely vegetarian main dish served with a salad on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 16 ounces French bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Sautee onions and garlic in oil in small pan until soft but not browned. Set aside to cool.
- 3In large bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat eggs, milk, cream, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg until blended.
- 4With rubber spatula, stir in spinach, cheese, onion/garlic mixture and bread.
- 5Pour mixture into 13" by 9" ceramic or glass baking dish (do NOT use metal pans for ANY bread pudding as they can easily pick up a metallic flavor).
- 6Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top of the pudding mixture.
- 7Bake bread pudding 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and puffed and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- 8Remove bread pudding from oven; let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Midwestern Spinach & Cheese Savoury Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.9
- Calories from Fat 341
- Total Fat 37.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 306.8 mg
- Sodium 903.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 27.8 g