Recipe by JanetB-KY
We ate a lot of Pork when I was growing up in Chicago. The midwest, with it's many generations of Europeans, loves the richness & homey appeal of dishes like this. It is awesome. If you like the combo of sauerkraut and pork you will love this. When it's done it is fall off the bone tender and very flavorful. I made a few changes from the original but not much. It was fine almost as it was. Can be doubled easily if your crock pot is big enough. Makes a lot of sauce that is great over noodles.
- 2 lbs red potatoes, unpeeled & cut into 1 in. pieces
- 1 -2 lb sauerkraut, drained
- 2 apples, unpeeled, cored & coarsely chopped (I used 1 sweet & 1 tart)
- 3 lbs country-style boneless pork ribs, i used bone in for economies sake but that's just me
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into 5 slices
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in crock pot.
- In large bowl, combine sauerkraut, onions and chopped apple; spoon half over the potatoes.
- Top with the pork ribs and the smoked sausage; spoon the remaining sauerkraut mixture over the top of the meat.
- In small bowl, combine apple juice,brown sugar and seasonings. Pour over the sauerkraut mixture, lightly mixing it around.
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or until meat is done and potatoes are tender.