Recipe by Hey Jude
Funnel cakes bring back wonderful memories for me...walking through the hot, dusty fairgrounds and then stopping for a decadent funnel cake. This is not diet food! It's a once a year treat. This recipe is my take on the one I found in the Chicago Tribune Good Eating section.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk, divided
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt, baking soda, sugar and baking powder.
- In another medium bowl, mix egg and 1 C.
- milk together, beating until smooth.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat until smooth.
- Add remaining milk, a little at a time, if needed, until batter has the consistency of pancake batter.
- Heat 1 inch of the vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pan to 365°.
- Place 1/4 C.
- of batter into a clean funnel while holding a finger over the bottom hole.
- Place funnel over hot oil and remove finger, swirl funnel in a circular motion over hot oil until all of the batter is in the oil.
- Fry cake until golden brown, about 90 seconds.
- Flip and fry remaining side until golden.
- Remove to brown paper to drain and dust with confectioners' sugar while still warm.
- Serve immediately.