Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My mom made this all the time. My brother makes it for his family and now it is something my husband can make by memory!! (and well!)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 5 roma tomatoes
- 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 10 ounces Doritos, crushed (nacho flavor 1/2 bag)
- 8 ounces Catalina dressing, 1/2 bottle
- Brown hamburger with seasoning, drain and chill.
- In large bowl rip up lettuce, add tomatoes, cheese and chilled beef.
- Just before serving add chips and salad dressing.
- This is great as a left over, even though the chips get soggy, it's still really good.
- Make sure you cover, it absorbs other flavors from the fridge easily!
The Catalina dressing attracted me to this recipe for taco salad. I really think it goes very well with a taco salad and it reminds me of a favorite local restaurants taco salad. I don't have to worry about the leftovers because there weren't any!
We make this taco salad quite a bit, and it is delicious. The first time I had it, the dressing was Italian; and we have used both flavors in the past. Just one hint to help with the leftovers-and offer up a different way to serve: when we serve this we do it 'salad bar' style with the additions of diced white onions in the choices. This way everyone can use what toppings they like, and as little or as much dressing as desired. By keeping the crushed chips separate, you avoid mushy leftovers. Recently I've been taking a low fat version for work lunches...ground turkey with taco seasoning, spinach, iceburg, and romaine lettuces, no cheese, extra onions, and fat free Italian dressing. Still yummy and quite a bit easier on the waistline!