Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Better Homes & Gardens Healthy Family Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef round steak
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large sweet red pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cups chopped peeled parsnips
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium tomatoes, cut up
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 6 serving-size pieces. Sprinkle meat on both sides with flour. With a meat mallet, pound flour into meat. Spray a 12-inch skillet with nonstick spray coating; brown meat over medium heat on both sides. Meanwhile, shop sweet pepper (you should have 1 cup). Add sweet pepper, beef broth, onions, parsnips, undrained tomatoes, basil, seasoning blend, garlic and black pepper. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 75 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter; skim all fat from pan drippings. In a small bowl, which together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water; add to pan drippings. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in parsley. Pour sauce over mean and vegetables.