Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups chopped peeled red potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (17 ounce) can cream-style corn
- In a saucepan, add first 6 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes; remove from heat but don't drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk and stir until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils and gets thick, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add undrained vegetables and corn.
- Stirring occasionally, cook until thoroughly heated, but do not boil.
This chowder is tasty, creamy, cheesy, and hearty. It's great for a day where there is a little nip in the air. I followed the recipe exactly except for adding some corn that I had leftover from a previous meal. The chowder is easy to make and packs tons of flavor. Yum!
My husband and I were delighted with how delicious this chowder tasted. The only addition I made was a 1/2 t. marjoram. Had a thick, creamy texture and a wonderful rich cheesy flavor. Next time, I might add some ham, bacon, or even shrimp would be good. Thanks for posting this.
Excellant chowder NurseDi, thanks for posting! I cut the recipe in half and made it for supper tonight. very tastey, the cheddar was a wonderful finish, nuummmyy!! We do a lot of soup through the winter and this will certainly be made again. I used the other half of the can or cream corn and a part of the other half of the cheese in some muffins, I served with the soup. Very tastey supper.