Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Jojo Santiago
This is a great recipe. My family loves it and it has become a favorite when we all get together for brunch. It is great to use as a base recipe. You can easily add all different kinds of ingredients to customize it to your tastes and make it extra special. Thanks for posting this recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, defrosted
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (white and tender green parts)
- 6 large eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray inside of 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a big pan, saute sausage over medium heat until it is browned, breaking it up with a fork, 8-10 minutes; drain off fat.
- Add in onion; saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour; stir until the flour is combined and coats the sausage and onion.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slow pour in the milk and stir up the bits from the bottom of the skillet; bring to a boil and add in the Tabasco.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese and continue stirring until cheese melts; cool for 10 minutes.
- Add in hash browns, green onions, and eggs, stirring until the mixture is combined.
- Pour into prepared dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°; bake for 25-30 minutes, until puffed, golden, and set in the center; let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Note—after step 9, may cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month; when ready to use, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, let casserole come to room temperature for about 30 minutes, then bake as directed.