Prep 18 mins
Cook 0 mins
A mid-week family standby when time is short, you’ve varying appetites to satisfy, and you want something healthy. This omelette is so versatile; suiting everyone from weight o those with hearty appetites (sprinkle part of the omelette with some grated cheese, include potatoes or pasta in their side salad, and serve them a slice or two of bread). And for those watching their fat content, dinner will be equally as enjoyable and sustaining – with slow-release GI, sweet red pepper and a nice fresh side salad, you’ll feel so much better spending a few minutes in the kitchen rather than picking up the phone to order a take-away. And - as an extra bonus - it's good cold the next day as a packed lunch too!
- 30 ml olive oil
- 5 ml sesame oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (optional)
- 400 g cannellini beans, drained (or black-eyes, flageolet, or sliced boiled potatoes)
- 8 eggs
- 30 ml sesame seeds
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- green salad (to serve)
- Heat the oils in a 30 cm / 12 inch frying pan. Sauté the onion, pepper, and celery (if using) until the onions are transparent. Add the beans and continue to over a medium heat for a couple of minutes until warmed through.
- Lightly beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper then pour into the frying pan.
- Immediately turn the heat down to low and give the pan an occasionally shake, or use a palette knife every now and again, to distribute the egg evenly. Cook for 6 - 8 minutes.
- Preheat a moderate grill. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top of the omelette and place under the grill to brown under.
- Cut the omelette into 4 triangles and serve accompanied by a green salad.