Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe I got from a friend So easy to make up ahead of time and freeze if you wish. The ingredients really vary to suit your taste buds. Add more or less taco sauce, cheese, and sour cream. Add extra spice to the ground beef if you wish (ex hot sauce, taco mix, peppers). Halve the recipe if you wish. The variations are endless.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans refried beans
- 3 cups taco sauce (1 cup for each plate,or to suit taste)
- 3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (1 cup for each plate or to suite taste)
- 3 cups sour cream, to taste
- Note: If you like something hotter or more spice, something can certainly be added to the browned ground beef.
- Brown ground beef with onion and then drain.
- Put refried beans on the bottom of pie plate (probably 3 pie plates, depending on the size of them).
- Put browned ground beef over beans.
- Put taco sauce over beef.
- Grate Monterey jack cheese over taco sauce.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Spoon sour cream over.
- Serve with taco chips.
- NOTE TO FREEZE: You can freeze this a number of ways. You can brown the ground beef and onion,drain. Put the refried beans in the pie plate topped with the ground beef, then freeze. Remove from freezer, thaw.then top with the remaining ingredents and bake. OR you could finish it completely, freeze then put in a lower oven about 300-325°F and bake a bit longer (until heated through). Top with sour cream and serve. There are so many variations with this recipe. Do whatever works for you.
This was a very good, tasty recipe. It took a little bit of time than I normally like to take to cook, but it was worth it. I will make again.
A great combination, the refried beans and Taco sauce make for a delicious surprise! Made up half a recipe for our evening meal, served with a green salad and fresh bread. No leftovers! I plan on using this as an appetizer, you can just bet I'll be making up the whole recipe, I know it is one family and friends will love too! Thank you Dotty, for another of your recipes and one that is definitely a five!
This is a fabulous appetizer and I really like the fact that it can be partially made ahead and then frozen. Quick and easy and will surely please your guests. You did it again, Dotty2...ANOTHER great recipe.