Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Who doesn't love chocolate cake? This cake is dark and beautiful, especially when frosted with your favorite white frosting!
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease well and flour to 9 inch round layer pans.
- Cream together shortening, sugar and eggs until fluffy; about 5 minutes on high.
- Sift dry ingredients together and mix on low speed adding alternately with water and vanilla.
- Pour half of mixture into each prepared pan.
- Bake 35 minutes. Cool. Frost with favorite icing.
- Can be made in one 13x9 pan and baked for 40-45 minutes.
Hey QJB. This recipe looks great. I have a Thoroughbred racehorse named Queen Jelly Bean. I can't wait to try your cake!