Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This cake is moist and delicious.
Make and share this Midnight Chocolate Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Chocolate ganache sauce on top of baked cake
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee granules (can't taste the coffee in this, just inhances the chocolate flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt or tube pan OR one 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, and with an electric mixer, combine dry ingredients.
- Add the liquid ingredients (except for the boiling water), and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes for the 9x13-inch rectangular pan, or bake for 40-45 minutes if using a bundt or tube pan-- or until toothpick in center comes out clean. (Everyone's oven is different, but I baked mine for 41 minutes in a bundt pan).
- Remove cake from oven, and cool completely on rack.
- After cake has cooled completely, frost as desired, or dust top of cake with confectioners' sugar.
- Place all ganache ingredients in a microwave safe dish (I use a 4 cup measuring cup) and microwave on high for approximately 1 minute--maybe a little more or less than a minute depending on your microwave.
- Wisk together until chocolate is shiny and of "drizzly" consistency.
- Drizzle on top of cake if you used a bundt cake or spread on cake if you used a 9 X 13 pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- **This cake makes: One 9 x 13 rectangular cake or one 10-inch bundt or tube cake.