Recipe by elizabeth.suzanne.brown
This quick and simple cake is similar to banana bread, but requires a fork. I invented this cake during a late-night bout of boredom, but it's as good for breakfast as it is for a midnight snack. My boyfriend, Colin, helped me bake and documented the birth of our improvised banana cake. Watch the video to supplement this recipe: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f3y0-89zzxw
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 bananas
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄8 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, mash two bananas and combine with the vanilla extract and yogurt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and adding the mashed banana mixture to the butter, sugar, and egg mixture. I recommend adding the dry ingredients in three parts and the banana mixture in two parts.
- Grease a 9 inches x 9 inches x 2 inches cake pan. Evenly spread half of the cake batter on the bottom of the pan. Slice the remaining three bananas. Arrange the banana slices over the entire surface of the batter, then spread the second half of the batter on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the top of the cake comes out dry.