3 hrs 20 mins
This came from Super Food Ideas and was submitted by the Portelli family for when they have family gatherings. It was suggested you could make up the mince mix the day before, cover and keep in the refrigerator. Also suggested that any excess stuffing could be put in a small baking dish, covered and bake for 30 minutes with the pumpkin. If you choose to make the mince and rice mix the day before allow about 30 minutes to cook and prepare (have not included this in the recipe as I assume it would be done while the pumpkin in baking).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 kg pumpkin (Kent or Jap whole recommended)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions (medium chopped)
- 500 g lamb mince
- 3 teaspoons harissa
- 2 teaspoons cumin (ground)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (dried)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock (salt reduced)
- 400 g chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 400 g lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup coriander leaves (chopped)
- 160 g pistachio nuts (kernels specified chopped)
- yoghurt (greek style to serve)
- 1Preheat oven to 210C/190C fan forced.
- 2Using a sharp knife, carefully cut a circle from the top of the pumpkin, leaving a 4 cm border.
- 3Wrap pumpkin lid in foil and place on a baking tray.
- 4Scoop seeds and membrane from pumpkin and discard.
- 5Place pumpkin, cut side down on a baking tray and cover with foil.
- 6Bake for 1 hour or until flesh is just tender.
- 7Meanwhile cook rice following packet instructions and drain and then transfer to a bowl and cover.
- 8Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat and cook onion stirring for 5 minutes or until soft and then add lamb mince and cook stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the mince, for 6 minutes or until browned.
- 9Add harissa, cumin, cinnamon, chilli flakes, stock, chickpeas and lentils and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or until heated through and season with salt and pepper and then add rice to lamb mixture and stir in the coriander and half the pistachios and set aside.
- 10Transfer pumpkin to a board and cut 1 cup of flesh from inside the pumpkin and roughly chop the flesh and add to rice mixture.
- 11Fill pumpkin cavity with rice mixture, pressing down firmly with the back of a spoon (see note in intro about excess mix) and return the lid to the pumpkin.
- 12Wrap pumpkin in foil and return to baking tray and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours or until tender when pierced with a skewer and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 13Remove foil from pumpkin and transfer to a plate (base will be quite soft) and cut into wedges and dollop with yoghurt and sprinkle with remaining pistachios and serve.
Browse Our Top Pumpkin Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pumpkin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle Eastern Whole Stuffed Pumpkin
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.0
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.8 mg
- Sodium 157.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 20.6 g