3 hrs 20 mins
Perfect for a Lebanese dinner, the smell of these breads baking will have your mouth watering!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1For topping, dry roast sesame seeds in a small frying pan for 3 minutes until golden.
- 2Cool and grind seeds in a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder.
- 3Add thyme leaves, sumac and salt and combine.
- 4Combine honey and water in a large bowl.
- 5Sprinkle with the yeast and stand in a warm place for 5 minutes until foamy.
- 6Stir in plain flour, salt, oil and 1 cup of the wholemeal flour until combined, then add remaining flour and knead until a stiff dough forms.
- 7Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 15 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- 8Place dough in a large lightly oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat in oil.
- 9Cover and stand in a warm spot for 2 hours.
- 10Dough will double in volumne.
- 11Knock dough down, tip onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly til smooth.
- 12Divide into 16 portions.
- 13Roll each portion into a 5cm x 12 cm oval.
- 14Place them on a baking paper lined tray covered with a tea towel as you work.
- 15Heat a heavy based frypan over medium heat.
- 16Brush or spray pan lightly with oil.
- 17Cook breads, in batches, for 1 minute each side, then place on oven trays.
- 18Brush breads with a little olive oil and sprinkle with sesame-herb topping.
- 19Bake in a 200 degree C oven for 5 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- 20Serve warm with Lebanese foods.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle Eastern Thyme Breads
Serving Size: 1 (730 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.1
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 219.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: