Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Based this off my other lentil soup recipe. You can find most of these ingredients in Indian grocery stores, it takes longer to cook because red lentils dissolve easily but the others don't. Particularly tasty with Slightly Spicy Indian Style Flatbread.
- 4 -5 cups vegetable stock (or broth)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup red lentil
- 1⁄3 cup channa dal (split desi chickpeas)
- 1⁄3 cup toor dal (split yellow pigeon peas)
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced new potatoes, drained and rinsed well
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (8 small cloves)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (or black sesame seeds or mix of the two)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 dash red cayenne
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Put all of the ingredients EXCEPT the cumin, turmeric, cayenne, garam masala, and lemon juice into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for 45-60 minutes or until all of the lentils have dissolved. Red lentils only take about 25 minutes but pigeon peas and channa dal take longer.
- Add the lemon juice and cumin, turmeric, cayenne, and garam masala, stirring in well. Turn off the heat.
- Serve with toasted pita triangles or oyster crackers and enjoy.