Recipe by Zurie
There are many variations of this salad. If you can't find Cos lettuce, also called romaine by the Zaar software, try baby gems or some mixed lettuces. You can make this up to 3 hours before serving.
- 1 large romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 lb cherry tomatoes or 1⁄2 lb plum tomato
- 1 cucumber (the long English ones)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup garden mint
- 6 spring onions
- 12 radishes
- 3 pita breads
- 5 fluid ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 lemon, juice of (about 3 1/2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons mild mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your grill to its highest setting.
- Grill the pitta breads lightly on both sides, until they are crisp. Keep a watch! You don't want black bread! Cool.
- Slice the lettuce (your choice, but don't use really soft lettuce such as butter lettuce).
- Halve the small tomatoes.
- Cut the cucumber into thick rounds, and cut the rounds into 4 cubes each.
- Chop the parsley and measure roughly. If Zaar allowed it, I'd have said "just chop enough for a handful".
- Ditto, the mint.
- Quarter the radishes and slice the spring onions, green and white parts included.
- Place all the prepared vegetables in a bowl.
- Cut the pita breads into bite-sized pieces, and add.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing until well mixed.
- If you wish, season the salad ingredients with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the dressing over the salad and toss well. Leave, covered, in the fridge, or serve.