Recipe by Nana Lee
From Saad Fayed, who doesn't love fried chicken, except for vegetarians of course. Fried chicken has become an American staple, especially for summer gatherings. In the Middle East, we eat fried chicken, too. Although prepared a little differently, it produces a taste like no other!
Top Review by kristenhend66
Really good. I added cumin seed and a touch of cayenne to the water. I added thyme and salt to the flour mixture and olive oil to fry... was great with the Mujaddrah as a side.
- 2 whole roasting chickens, cut up (or whatever pieces of chicken desired)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken in a large pot and cover with water.
- Add onion, garlic, coriander, tumeric, salt and pepper and stir.
- Allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- This process allows the chicken to absorb the spices.
- In a frying pan or deep fryer, bring vegetable oil to 350ºF degrees.
- Strain chicken from water and roll in flour.
- When oil is hot, fry chicken pieces until golden brown and done.
- Legs and thighs generally take about 15-20 minutes.
- Breasts take 7-10 minutes for strips.
- Cutlets, larger, thicker breast may take up to 15 minutes.
- Serve with a salad, rice, and olives.