Recipe by T in Marin
This is a high protein veggie dish that is perfect for pita points
Top Review by Geniale Genie
Yum! I did need to add quite a bit of water to smooth it down and added a bit of salt, but it tastes great - just the right amount of zing. I may replace the extra water and salt with vegetable broth next time. This makes a LOT, so make sure you have the mouths to eat it or halve the recipe. I'll try freezing it in an ice cube tray (like pesto). Thanks for sharing T!
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 cup split peas
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lentils and split peas in a large pot of boiling salted water until very tender, about 35 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1/3 cup oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric and cumin and stir 1 minute. Transfer mixture to processor (or bowl for use of immersion blender). Add lentils and split peas, celery leaves, lemon juice, chili powderand remaining 3 tbsps of oil. Process until smooth. Season generously (to taste) with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving. Serve with pita bread.