Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
If you like figs, try this simple recipe. It is really very good. I used firmer figs so they don't get too mushy. Prep time includes 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb dried fig
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pine nuts, for garnish (pignoli) (optional)
- Combine the water, sugar, and spices in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over moderate heat.
- Add the figs and cook for 15 minutes, until the syrup has thickened.
- Stir in the fruit juices and remove from the heat.
- Chill for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- To serve, spoon into dessert dishes and sprinkle with pine nuts, or serve over ice cream.
I like this inspirational recipe. I did make a few personal changes to suit my taste, that's why it's only 4 not 5 stars. I'm sure it's a 5 star recipe just as it is. Here's what I did: I used 3.5 cups water and .5 cups sherry, only 1 cup sugar, cinnamon stick instead of ground, candied ginger slice instead of ground. I also put in 4 crushed green cardamon pods. Love to eat these just as they are. Thank you for the recipe, Miss Annie.
Just under 4 1/2 stars. These taste very good. We have them with a bit of the syrup over Balkan (thick) yogurt or I just pop them in my mouth as is. I used freshly squeezed orange juice, freshly squeezed lemon juice, the optional pine nuts, plus the rest of the ingredients.