1/5 Photos of Middle Eastern Slow-Cooked Stew With Lamb, Chickpeas, and Figs
1 hr 52 mins
1 hr 32 mins
From Cooking Light. Per 3/4 c. serving: 310 calories, 6.2 g fat, 21.4 g protein, 44.5 g carb, 6.6 g fiber, 49 mg cholesterol.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cubed
- 4 cups onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 3/4 cups water, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick (3-inches)
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 cup dried fig, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Let the oil get heating in a large pot over medium-high heat; also coat pan with cooking spray.
- 2Add in half the cubed lamb; stir/saute 8 minutes or until browned; remove from pan.
- 3Repeat procedure with remaining lamb.
- 4Return first batch of lamb back to pot so that all the lamb is now in the pot.
- 5Add in onion, 1/4 cup water, and garlic; cook 4 1/2 minutes or until lightly browned, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- 6Add in cumin and the next 6 ingredients; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- 7Stir in broth and 1 1/2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- 8Cover, lower heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- 9Stir in chickpeas and the next 3 ingredients; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the carrots are done.
- 10Stir in mint and salt.
- 11This dish is best when made ahead of time and refrigerated up to 2 days to allow the flavors to meld.
- 12May reheat in a slow-cooker or on the stove-top if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle Eastern Slow-Cooked Stew With Lamb, Chickpeas, and Figs
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.4
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 721.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 20.7 g