4 hrs 30 mins
From an old BH&G crock pot cookbook. My kids, all grown now, loved this, still do! Great dish for a busy day. Even better the next day. Wonderful for the beach.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs boneless beef roast or 4 lbs lamb, but into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- pita pocket bread
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain yogurt (I prefer sour cream)
- 1In skillet brown 1 pound of the meat in 1 tablespoon of hot oil at a time; drain.
- 2Transfer meat to crockery cooker.
- 3Add onion and garlic to skillet; cook till tender. Add to meat with wine, tomato paste, salt, oregano, basil, rosemary and dash of pepper; mix well.
- 4Cover; cook on low heat setting for 4 hours.
- 5To serve, turn cooker to high heat setting.
- 6Blend water into cornstarch; stir into meat mixture. Cook till thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- 7Split bread to make a pocket; fill each with meat mixture, lettuce, tomato and cucumber and yogurt. Makes 10 to 16 sandwiches, depending on the size of pita bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle Eastern Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 738.8
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 224.1 mg
- Sodium 1478.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 82.0 g