Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From an old BH&G crock pot cookbook. My kids, all grown now, loved this, still do! Great dish for a busy day. Even better the next day. Wonderful for the beach.
- 4 lbs boneless beef roast or 4 lbs lamb, but into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- pita pocket bread
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain yogurt (I prefer sour cream)
- In skillet brown 1 pound of the meat in 1 tablespoon of hot oil at a time; drain.
- Transfer meat to crockery cooker.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet; cook till tender. Add to meat with wine, tomato paste, salt, oregano, basil, rosemary and dash of pepper; mix well.
- Cover; cook on low heat setting for 4 hours.
- To serve, turn cooker to high heat setting.
- Blend water into cornstarch; stir into meat mixture. Cook till thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Split bread to make a pocket; fill each with meat mixture, lettuce, tomato and cucumber and yogurt. Makes 10 to 16 sandwiches, depending on the size of pita bread.