Recipe by coconutty
I adapted this recipe given to me by a Lebanese friend. The amounts shown are only suggestions - adjust them to suit your taste. I did not include lettuce or mixed greens in the ingredient list - sometimes I make the salad with them and sometimes without them. When I don't have fresh mint leaves, I tear open a teabag (of organic peppermint tea) and use part of the contents. Re the sumac: it is a characteristic spice but is sour, so start with a small amount to see if you like it.
Top Review by Mrs. Danger_horse
Loved the combination of textures: soft avocado, juicy tomato, crisp cucumber, frilly lettuce.. really enjoyable salad. I left out the sumac (as I didn't have any) and added mixed lettuce (as per photo). Highly recommended!
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 hothouse cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- sweet bell pepper, cut into small strips (red, green, etc.)
- scallions (green onions) or red onion, chopped
- 3 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil or 3 tablespoons flax seed oil
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds