Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great Middle Eastern Dish. You can use either chicken, lamb, or beef, it tastes good with any of them. You can serve this with plain yogurt and a tomamto and cucumber salad.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 5 medium potatoes or 5 medium potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb or 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cubed
- 2 cups rice (soak in hot water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons salt (or more)
- 1 onion
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- oil (for frying)
- 3 1⁄2 cups water, and or 3 1⁄2 cups meat broth
- Boil meat in water, skimming the froth as it appears on the surface.
- Add Allspice, Pepper, salt, and garlic and cover.
- Let meat simmer over moderate heat until tender.
- Strain broth into a bowl. Reserving meat for later use.
- Break the Cauliflower into medium-sized flowerets. Sprinkle with salt, then fry in deep hot oil until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Do the same with the potatoes (cut in large cubes).
- In a 4-quart pot, saute onion and meat. Cover meat with cauliflower, potatoes, and drained rice.
- Add brother or water to cover the rice.
- Let it all come to a fast boil. Then reduce heat.
- Cook covered for 40 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed. Remove from fire.
- Let cool for 1/2 hour, then turn pot upside down in a large platter or a large plate.
- If desired, garnish with sauteed pine nuts.