Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is from Moosewood New Classics - a great blend of textures. Great when you top the whole thing with plain yogurt.
Top Review by Mrs Goodall
We really enjoyed this, pattikay! I made this for the ZWT 3 for just DH and myself. I would make this again if I was hosting a party. The presentation was lovely and we enjoyed the flavors, just a little much for just the two of us...but for 6, I think it's a winner!
- 177.44 ml lentils
- 709.77 ml water
- 2.46 ml salt
- 946.36 ml fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I used one 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh green chile, chopped
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 14.79 ml red wine vinegar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml white basmati rice
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 354.88 ml water
- 2.46 ml salt
- vegetable oil
- 946.36 ml thinly sliced small onion
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1419.0 ml salt water
- 354.88 ml elbow macaroni
- plain yogurt (for topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- in a small covered saucepan, bring the lentils, water and salt to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer till tender, about 40 minutes, stir occasionally.
- when the lentils are done, drain them if all the water has not been absorbed.
- while the lentils cook, puree the tomatoes, garlic, chile, oil, vinegar and salt in a blender.
- Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- reduce the heat and simmer briskly, uncovered, until thick, about 20-25 minutes.
- stir occasionally, as the sauce begins to cook, and more frequently as it begins to thicken.
- while the lentils and hot sauce simmer, cook the rice. rinse the rice well in a sieve and drain.
- warm the oil in a saucepan and add the rice, water and salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer on very low heat, till the water is absorbed and the rice is done, about 15 minutes.
- meanwhile, pour about 1/2 inch oil inot a medium cast iron or nonstick skillet. on high heat, warm the oil till it is very hot, almost smoking.
- Add about half of the onions,fry, stirring often until the onions are quite brown, about 10 minutes.
- remove and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle the onions with 1/8 t of salt.
- repeat with the rest of the onions.
- as you begin to fry the second batch of onions, bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the macaroni. by now, the hot sauce has probably finished cooking, so you have a free burner.
- cook the pasta till al dente and then drain.
- to serve, mound the lentils, macaroni, and rice in adjoining piles on a large platter.
- sprinkle with the fried onions and top with some of the hot sauce.
- serve immediately and serve with more hot sauce.