1/3 Photos of Middle Eastern Lentils and Pasta
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is from Moosewood New Classics - a great blend of textures. Great when you top the whole thing with plain yogurt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I used one 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh green chile, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1in a small covered saucepan, bring the lentils, water and salt to a boil.
- 2Reduce the heat and simmer till tender, about 40 minutes, stir occasionally.
- 3when the lentils are done, drain them if all the water has not been absorbed.
- 4while the lentils cook, puree the tomatoes, garlic, chile, oil, vinegar and salt in a blender.
- 5Transfer to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 6reduce the heat and simmer briskly, uncovered, until thick, about 20-25 minutes.
- 7stir occasionally, as the sauce begins to cook, and more frequently as it begins to thicken.
- 8while the lentils and hot sauce simmer, cook the rice. rinse the rice well in a sieve and drain.
- 9warm the oil in a saucepan and add the rice, water and salt.
- 10Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer on very low heat, till the water is absorbed and the rice is done, about 15 minutes.
- 11meanwhile, pour about 1/2 inch oil inot a medium cast iron or nonstick skillet. on high heat, warm the oil till it is very hot, almost smoking.
- 12Add about half of the onions,fry, stirring often until the onions are quite brown, about 10 minutes.
- 13remove and drain on paper towels.
- 14Sprinkle the onions with 1/8 t of salt.
- 15repeat with the rest of the onions.
- 16as you begin to fry the second batch of onions, bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the macaroni. by now, the hot sauce has probably finished cooking, so you have a free burner.
- 17cook the pasta till al dente and then drain.
- 18to serve, mound the lentils, macaroni, and rice in adjoining piles on a large platter.
- 19sprinkle with the fried onions and top with some of the hot sauce.
- 20serve immediately and serve with more hot sauce.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle Eastern Lentils and Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.5
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1339.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: