1/1 Photo of Middle Eastern Lentil & Kofta Bowl by Sy
1 hr 30 mins
This is a delicious Middle Eastern Soup Bowl enjoyed by many cultures in the region. Besides its appetizing visual appeal, adding the various accompaniments makes this dish extra tasty!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups of heated chicken stock (other stocks optional)
- 1 1/4 cups lentils (yellow peas)
- 1 celery rib, chopped up (optional)
- 1 small onion, chopped up
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste (tube, can or jar)
- 1 small green zucchini, cut into thin 12 slices
- 1 small red pepper, chopped up
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped up
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional, 8 small slivers from the outside of a lemon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 inch ginger, chopped up (optional)
- 1Mix the kofta ingredients and set aside.
- 2Put stock in a pot (non-stick Teflon) and after heated add; peas (lentils), celery, onion, tomato paste and let simmer for about 30+ minutes, with the cover on.
- 3Stirring occasionally.
- 4When the lentils are three quarters done, reserve about 1/2 cup for later use.
- 5Remove pot from stove and puree the soup, then back on the stove.
- 6After the soup is reduced somewhat, add; Semneh Seasonings and puree again.
- 7Let soup simmer for about 15 minutes, stir often (and make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot).
- 8When you have a real thick soup add the 1/2 cup reserved lentils and cook for one minutes more.
- 9The soup should be thick which will allow the koftas, zucchini and red peppers to float on top when added.
- 10While the soup is cooking, make the koftas.
- 11Form about 12-16 small flat kofta patties and fry with a little oil (or grilled).
- 12Make sure that the ground poultry is thoroughly cooked, flatten them with a spatula.
- 13Put the zucchini and chopped red pepper into a big bowl, add the butter and then into the microwave for about 1 minutes.
- 14Do not over cook!
- 15Add the thick lentil soup to each bowl.
- 16Make a nice looking design around the bowl by placing 2- koftas, 3 slices of zucchini and garnish with red peppers.
- 17Enjoy, with pita bread and accompanied with hot chili sauce, yogurt sauce, mint sauce, sour cream, sour pickles/vegetables, lemon wedges on the side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle Eastern Lentil & Kofta Bowl by Sy
Serving Size: 1 (2601 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.5
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 631.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 38.5 g