1/2 Photos of Middle Eastern Lebanese Fattoush Bread Salad
Fattoush is a rustic country salad of Syria and Lebanon which is on the standard menu of Lebanese restaurants. Arugula (Eruca vesicaria), also known as rocket, garden rocket, rocket salad, rugola, rucola , roquette and rughetta Rocket (Roquette) A strong, peppery leaf with jagged-edged indented leaves and a pleasant bite. Because of its strong flavour, a little goes a long way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 pita breads or 1 1/2 arab bread
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into ribbons
- 3 medium firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 small cucumbers, peeled, cut into thick slices
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into small slices
- 1 1/2 red onions or 1 1/2 mild white onions or 9 scallions, chopped
- 1 bunch rocket, torn
- 1 butch purslane or 1 lamb's lettuce, torn
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh mint, shredded
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac
- 1Cut open the breads and toast them under the broiler until they are crisp turning them over once. Break them into small pieces in your hands.
- 2Put all the vegetables in a large bowl with the onions, rocket and purslane leaves or lamb’s lettuce, flat leaf parsley, and mint.
- 3For the dressing, mix the olive oil with the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and sumac.
- 4Just before serving, add the toasted bread and toss well with the dressing. Serves 6-8.
- 5Variation: for the old style version, put the broken pieces of toast in a bowl. Moisten and soften with a little cold water or lemon juice before adding them to the salad.
- 6The New Book of Middle Eastern Food.
Browse Our Top Lebanese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle Eastern Lebanese Fattoush Bread Salad
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.5
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 108.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: