Recipe by Olha
Fattoush is a rustic country salad of Syria and Lebanon which is on the standard menu of Lebanese restaurants. Arugula (Eruca vesicaria), also known as rocket, garden rocket, rocket salad, rugola, rucola , roquette and rughetta Rocket (Roquette) A strong, peppery leaf with jagged-edged indented leaves and a pleasant bite. Because of its strong flavour, a little goes a long way.
Top Review by Katanashrp
Delish! I also skipped the bread but I really like the combination of veggies and herbs. I adore the dressing itself. I'm going to make some extra to keep in the fridge and use on other salads as well. Thank you.
- 1 1⁄2 pita breads or 1 1⁄2 arab bread
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut into ribbons
- 3 medium firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 small cucumbers, peeled, cut into thick slices
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into small slices
- 1 1⁄2 red onions or 1 1⁄2 mild white onions or 9 scallions, chopped
- 1 bunch rocket, torn
- 1 butch purslane or 1 lamb's lettuce, torn
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 -4 sprigs of fresh mint, shredded
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut open the breads and toast them under the broiler until they are crisp turning them over once. Break them into small pieces in your hands.
- Put all the vegetables in a large bowl with the onions, rocket and purslane leaves or lamb’s lettuce, flat leaf parsley, and mint.
- For the dressing, mix the olive oil with the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and sumac.
- Just before serving, add the toasted bread and toss well with the dressing. Serves 6-8.
- Variation: for the old style version, put the broken pieces of toast in a bowl. Moisten and soften with a little cold water or lemon juice before adding them to the salad.
- The New Book of Middle Eastern Food.