Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this recipe from a friend. It's got a great blend of flavors! Tastes great with rice or cous-cous.
- 1 lb lamb
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced (optional)
- 1 head celery, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package baby carrots
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 dash cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries (optional)
- Brown the lamb in oil and remove from pan.
- Sauté the onion, shallot (if using), and celery until soft and starting to brown.
- Add the wine, browned meat, carrots, sweet potatoes, and the cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a simmer, adding water if necessary.
- After about 20 minutes, remove the cinnamon stick and add spices, bay leaves, and if using, the almonds and cherries.
- Simmer until meat is tender and sweet potatoes are soft.
This needs a whole lot of spice added to give it more flavour. A "dash" is not enough...possibly 1 tbls of spice!!! Sorry.