Recipe by Pricele$$
This is a great burger from the Food Network All Stars cookbook. I get a ton of requests to make this from my family. Making these mini burgers is great for tailgating. Prep does not include chilling
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus
- additional kosher salt, for seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- 7 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 6 small plain pita pocket bread (you know what I do)
- sliced onion tomatoes (to garnish)
- sliced cucumber (to garnish)
- arugula (to garnish)
- of fresh mint (to garnish)
- 2 cups plain yogurt or 1 cup middle eastern style plain yogurt
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint, finely crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Prep grill - medium high.
- Using hand mix lamb thru pepper, gently add in feta. Divide mixture into 6 portions ( I do mini so I get like 12-18) shape into oval loosely packed and press center so it is slightly thinner.
- Brush burgers with EVOO and season with salt and pepper ( if desired ) grill turning once until firm to the touch with a bit of give. about 8-10 min for large burgers.
- Grill pitas if desired serve burgers with pitas and garnishes.
- Stir yogurt and put into coffee filter let drain for at least 12 hours or over night ( It never makes it that long for me and its fine).
- or if using Greek yogurt skip this step. Discard watery liquid and put yogurt into bowl.
- Grate cucumber on wide holed side of a grater. sprinkle with 2 tsp salt and toss gently set aside for 20 min then squeeze to express as much liquid as possible , add to yogurt in bowl.
- Smash garlic sprinkle with generous pinch of salt and with the flat side of a knife mash into coarse paste. Add garlic oil lemon juice and mint to yogurt mixture, stir to combine, refrigerate for about an hour to meld flavors.