Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Simple 1-2-3 Slow Cooker cookbook.
Make and share this Middle Eastern Lamb and Bean Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lamb shank
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 lbs lamb stew meat, boneless (dredged in the 1/2 cup flour)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 -3 stalks celery, diagonally sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch (mixed with the 1/4 cup water)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add lamb shank and brown on all sides. Transfer lamb to slow cooker. Add broth, garlic, and peppercorns. Cover; cook on HIGH 2 hours.
- Add bacon to same skillet. Cook until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels; crumble. Add 1/2 stew meat to skillet; brown on all sides. Transfer meat to slow cooker. Brown remaining 1/2 stew meat with onion, adding additional oil if needed. Transfer mixture to slow cooker. Add beans, carrots, and celery. Cover; cook on LOW 2 hours.
- Transfer lamb shank to cutting board 30 minutes before serving. Remove meat; return to slow cooker. Discard bone. Let cooking liquid stand 5 minutes to allow fat to rise. Skim off fat. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook, UNCOVERED, 30 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped fresh herbs.