Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
For World Tour II--Middle East I thought these pita sandwiches sounded interesting. Recipe source: Sticks & Skewers
- 2 onions, quartered
- 3 ounces parsley, stems removed
- 2 1⁄2 cups ground lamb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- sea salt or kosher salt
- pita bread
- red onion, sliced
- green salad greens
- plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried mint (optional)
- In a food processor, chop onions, pulsing until grated. Add parsley and chop again, using on/off turns.
- Add ground lamb (ground beef can be substituted) along with cinnamon, saffron, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined and mixture is a smooth paste.
- Using metal skewers, taking a ball of approximately 2 tablespoons of mixture, place on skewer, press it along the skewer to make an oval of approximately 4-inches long. (It is easiest if you use a grilling rack in case mixture falls off). Repeat with remaining meat mixture.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Grill skewers for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp on the outside.
- To serve: on a large serving platter, place warmed pita breads, onion slices, salad greens, hummus and yogurt mixed with mint (if using) and meat. Fill pitas with choice of accompaniments.
This was a nice, flavourful and healthy meal. I placed the meat balls in the oven for 20 min @ 350 F and broiled another 5 min to brown. Worked just great. Definitely add the mint to the yoghurt - it adds an extra dimension. Next time I would increase the salt in the meatballs to 3/4 tsp - 1 tsp, I think the extra salt will bring out the other flavours more. Also added a tray of tomatoes and cucumbers to add to the pitas along with homemade hummus, red onions, baby lettuce and yoghurt. Made by a fellow Unruly / CWT6
3 3/4 stars I didn't find these flavourful enough and would suggest reducing the cinnamon sightly. Maybe add a garlic clove. I put them under a broiler which worked well for said amount of time. I made this with ground beef as ground lamb was not available. I loved the serving suggestions but I would not make them flavoured this way again. Recipe #291700 are a winner beside these sorry.
This is just too good! I got home later than I expected but dinner came together very quickly with this. The market happened to have fresh ground lamb today so I had to get some just for this. Didn't feel like futzing with soaking the skewers so I just made the meat balls as described and broiled them. Love the cinnamon and saffron and hummus is one of my all time fav's. It is quick and simple and exotic and absolutely delicious. I think that having ultra fresh pitas makes a real difference here, they were soft and wrapped themselves lovingly around the filling. I made mint tea to go with the sandwich's. 5 stars and 2 thumbs up.