Recipe by ellie_
For World Tour II--Middle East I thought these pita sandwiches sounded interesting. Recipe source: Sticks & Skewers
Top Review by Deantini
This was a nice, flavourful and healthy meal. I placed the meat balls in the oven for 20 min @ 350 F and broiled another 5 min to brown. Worked just great. Definitely add the mint to the yoghurt - it adds an extra dimension. Next time I would increase the salt in the meatballs to 3/4 tsp - 1 tsp, I think the extra salt will bring out the other flavours more. Also added a tray of tomatoes and cucumbers to add to the pitas along with homemade hummus, red onions, baby lettuce and yoghurt. Made by a fellow Unruly / CWT6
- 2 onions, quartered
- 3 ounces parsley, stems removed
- 2 1⁄2 cups ground lamb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- sea salt or kosher salt
- pita bread
- red onion, sliced
- green salad greens
- plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried mint (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, chop onions, pulsing until grated. Add parsley and chop again, using on/off turns.
- Add ground lamb (ground beef can be substituted) along with cinnamon, saffron, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined and mixture is a smooth paste.
- Using metal skewers, taking a ball of approximately 2 tablespoons of mixture, place on skewer, press it along the skewer to make an oval of approximately 4-inches long. (It is easiest if you use a grilling rack in case mixture falls off). Repeat with remaining meat mixture.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Grill skewers for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp on the outside.
- To serve: on a large serving platter, place warmed pita breads, onion slices, salad greens, hummus and yogurt mixed with mint (if using) and meat. Fill pitas with choice of accompaniments.