1/2 Photos of Middle-Eastern Herb Omelette
This is from "Herbs and Spices the Cook's Reference" by Jill Norman. This substantial omelette, something like a Spanish tortilla, is called a kookoo in Iran and eggah in the Arab countries. A tablespoon of barberries can be added to the filling. The omelette can be baked or cooked on top of the stove.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ounces fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
- 5 ounces fresh dill, leaves chopped
- 2 ounces fresh cilantro, leaves chopped
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 3 -4 lettuce leaves, chopped
- 3 -4 spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped (optional)
- 4 scallions, chopped (green onions)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 6 eggs, beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- thick yogurt, to serve
- 1If you intend to bake the omelette, heat the oven to 350F (180C).
- 2Discard the coarse stems from the parsley, dill, and cilantro, and chop these herbs with the chives, lettuce and spinach.
- 3Combine with zucchini, scallions and walnuts.
- 4Crush the saffron in a small mortar and stir in 2 tsp warm water.
- 5Beat the eggs well, add the saffron liquid, salt and pepper. Stir into the herb mixture.
- 6To bake the omelette:.
- 7Butter a shallow baking dish, pour in the mixture, and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the omelette has a golden-brown crust.
- 8To cook omelette on the stove-top:.
- 9Heat butter in a frying pan, coating it well on the bottom and sides, pour in the mixture, and cook over low heat for about 25 minutes.
- 10Turn the omelettte by reversing it onto a plate held over the pan, and cook the other side for 10-15 minutes.
- 11Serve hot or at room temperature, cut in wedges, with a bowl of thick yogurt.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle-Eastern Herb Omelette
Serving Size: 1 (754 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.7
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 332.5 mg
- Sodium 231.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.6 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 40.1 g