Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dish always comes out delicious, even with changes to the ingredients. I have made it with salmon, halibut, red snapper, swordfish and tilapia. You can control the heat by the amount of hot pepper you use. If you don't have a jalapeno on hand, substitute 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper ( I usually use both in this recipe). If you don't have za'atar spice blend, use 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp marjoram, 1/4 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp roasted sesame seeds and 1 tsp sumac for this recipe. This looks as good as it tastes!
- 2 lbs fish
- 2 onions, large, sliced thinly
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes (I use Italian tomatoes)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon za'atar spice mix, spice blend
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large saute pan or skillet, saute the onions, red bell peppers, green bell peppers and jalapeno in olive oil for about 5 minutes on med heat. Don't let them color.
- Add garlic, stir and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, broken up by hand, with all the juice from the can. Add 1/2 cup water.
- Add everything else except the fish. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning if necessary.
- Put 1/3 of the tomato mixture in a 9x13 roasting dish (Spray with non-stick spray first).
- Arrange fish on tomato mixture.
- Spread the rest of the hot tomato mixture over the fish.
- Bake until fish is just done, about 10-15 minutes, depending upon the thickness of your fish - check it after 5 minutes or so to see how it's doing.
very nice good tasting with the salmon zaar tour 6