Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
I found this recipe in a "Khaleej Times" magazine. These make yummy starters and are a personal favourite!
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch thick round slices
- olive oil, for shallow frying
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- Sprinkle some salt over the brinjal slices and keep aside.
- Cut each garlic clove into two pieces and soak in vinegar for 8-10 minutes.
- Soak the bread in water then squeeze out the water completely. Crumble with hands and set aside.
- Next, remove the garlic from vinegar and pound the garlic pieces with a little salt to form a paste.
- Gradually add the crumbled bread alternating with a little vinegar.
- When it is well ground into a smooth paste, mix in the ground almonds, olive oil, remaining vinegar, lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Beat well to obtain a thick creamy consistency.
- This forms the garlic sauce.
- Then,towel dry the brinjal slices and shallow fry them.
- Arrange the fried brinjal slices on a flat serving dish, spoon a dollop of garlic sauce over each slice.
- Garnish with mint leaves.