Recipe by the_cookie_lady
From Cooking Light's 1991 Annual Cookbook. Uses garbanzo beans and red pepper. Makes 2 cups. Cook time is actually 2 hours of refrigeration.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 cup diced tomato
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain garbanzo beans, reserving 2 TBL liquid; set aside.
- Combine reserved liquid, 2 TBL lemon juice, sesame seeds, garlic, sesame oil, cumin and red pepper in container of an electric blender or food processor; top with cover and process until smooth.
- Add garbanzo beans, remaining lemon juice and parsley; process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl, and stir in tomato.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Serve with toasted pita triangles.