Recipe by ID
A relatively quick and easy lunchtime salad that's brimming with flavour and vitality - entirely original recipe.
- 12 ounces couscous
- 1 lb eggplant
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 12 black olives, stoned and roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons coriander, chopped
- 2 ounces pine nuts, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the couscous in 9 fluid ounces cold water.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C Cut the eggplant into 1/4" slices, cut these in 2 lengthways then cut all across in 1/4" slices (you should end up with short'chip'-shaped pieces).
- Toss in 3 tablespoons of the oil, 2 teaspoons of the cumin and a little seasoning then roast in the oven for 15- 20 mintes, until softened.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: zest the lemon, adding the zest to the couscous then juice and add about 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Allow to dissolve, then add the garlic plus the remaining cumin and olive oil.
- Whisk thoroughly and add to the couscous- this will be partially absorbed.
- When the eggplant is cooked, allow to cool a little then stir into the couscous, along with the olives, coriander and pine nuts.
- Toss well and serve immediately.